Monday 3 October 2011

A new letter.

I wake up this morning.
I find something resting upon my chest.
Another brown envelope.

Once again, as soon as I pick it up.
The envelope falls apart.
I type it up during my break and post it.

I do the rest of my training.
I ask Salome about the letters.

She shouts at me,
She tells me to never read these.
I don't understand why.
She says I don't need to.

I post it here
I typed it up before I asked.
I had a feeling that I would need to.
I show whoever is watching me, what it said:

October 20th, 1887

As always Mother, here is the message from Jules. If you have tasks for me to fulfil, I would do them gladly.

Dear Ember Fay

I hope that you are well this October day. In London, it is icy, the streets are slippery and the air has a bite that is difficult to describe. It makes me wish for warmer times, the mild winters of my beloved Marseilles in the orphanage, along with a few more blankets, perhaps someone to keep warm with.

Of course, onto the main part of the letter.

I encountered the most curious of things the other day. There was an attempted burgulary upon a residence in Cobb Street. Given reports of such things happening to other people. I was assigned to investigate. Of course, I interviewed the young woman who discovered him. She was a local Street Worker who went by the name of "Fairy Fay." It seems like you are not the only one using a new name.

She was... Applying her trade, when she saw a man at the foot of her bed. When he was spotted he escaped through the window. She said he wore a face like that of an ungodly creature on a mask. She called him Springheeled Jack.

Yes, you could laugh at such a childish fantasy, but it does not explain the fact that this is the second of such cases in as many months.

It may also interest you to know that in this occasion, he fell three storeys.

We spent the next week, interviewing doctors and pharmacists, the coroner assures me that such a fall would cause injuries that would make walking near impossible. And to our surprise, we discovered someone, someone who matched the description of the attacker and the injuries.

Upon interview, he was clearly of ill humour. I enclose a transcript of the interview. If I am to take this lunatic seriously, I would like to start researching “Father” post-haste.

I await your orders, and your return.

Jules Chernier.

[Interview of Mr. John Smith starts: 19:32 PM 20th October 1887 Interviewers Special Detective Jules Chernier and Detective Wilfred Drake]

C- So. Mr Smith.
S- Yes Detective?
C- How did you receive such a dreadful wound to your foot? Does it not hurt?
S- I landed fell out of b [screaming] please help me. Stop! It hurts!
C- Stop what? Did you see anything Detective?
D- Not at all. He just started scremaing.
C- How curious, such a thing could send a man to Bedlam. Do you not agree?
D- I would agree to that, Mr Chernier, he would be a good subject don't you think? You know they test on people, don't you?
C- Possibly, although he'd have to answer our questions if he didn't want to.
S- Please no. Not you Father. Not you. You made me do it before, I'll be good I'll be good. [Screaming]
C- Well, tell me about this Father.
S- He made me do it, he made me do it all, he hurts he kills he's evil. I don't want to do it, he watches me, over and over and over and over.
C- So you admit to being in Fairy Fay's home on the night?
S- I had to be, he made me.
D- He?
S- Father.
D- Who is Father?
S- [Laughter] Want to know? Come closer.
D- [Screaming] My ear, you tore off my ear.
S- [Laughter] It looked like it tasted nice. Father likes it when people taste nice.
C- Of course... Get to a hospital Detective Drake. Mr Smith, I am hereby formally charging you with attempted murder, attempted burgulary, and resisting arrest.
S- But I'm not resisting arrest [Screaming]
C- Yes you are, Mon Ami. Interview over.
[Interview end at 19:42] "

I don't think about it.
Salome tells me not to think. 
Occasionally I am scared she will shoot me 
if I don't do what she says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment